Looking for O-scope suggestions / reviews

Closed Thread

Hybrid View

Default Looking for O-scope suggestions / reviews

Well, it's the beginning of a new decade. And I'm thinking it may be time to replace some of my 2-3 decade old test equipment.

I've survived for the last 20+ years with a trusty old 20 MHz Hitachi V-212 scope. It's been a good piece of equipment, but it's starting to get a little flaky and it's lack of bandwidth and modern features gets kind of depressing sometimes.

Money is kind of scarce around here these days so I can't afford any real high dollar stuff, but I've been eyeballing this 60MHz B&K Precision 2534..
    http://www.bkprecision.com/products/...534_manual.pdf

Honestly, I don't even know what kind of features to look for in a "modern" digital 'scope these days. Decent bandwidth, and storage capability... and what else?

Does anyone have any "reviews" for digital scopes in the under $1K price range?

Any particular features to look for?
    Any particular brands I should stay away from?

Any suggestions at all before I blindly plunk my money on the table..?

Thanks!

steve

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Here are a couple short beginners buyers guide/tutorial on oscilloscopes. I chose the cheaper one (25 mhz), and I have been pretty happy with it. Also, it doesn't use much space in the work room. The price was good too.

These might be too much for beginners, but maybe they will be useful to others.

Tutorial 1

Tutorial 2

Tutorial 3

OWON two channel scope 25mhz color display digital scope under $300.00
    http://www.saelig.com/PSBEB100/PSSA002.htm

Owon two channel scope 60mhz color display digital under $500.00
    http://www.saelig.com/PSBEB100/PSSA004.htm
    Last edited by ScaleRobotics; - 12th August 2010 at 06:46.

Thanks for the links.

So how do you like the Owon scope? How long have you had it? Anything you dislike about it?
    Does it seem well made, and like it might actually last for a decade or two?
    I've had some really poor luck in the last few years with low priced imported (china) equipment, so I'm a little leary about some of that stuff these days. I know some of it is good quality and a great value, but there's also a lot of horrible junk out there too and I've owned some of it...

I've been thinking about my past, present, and possible future uses for a scope, and if I can get a new scope to last for 20 years, then it will probably be the last one I ever buy... because by then I'll be 70, and as quickly as my eyesight is failing I imagine my electronics career will be over by then unless they start making the parts way bigger again..

I got my first scope in 1974 (an ancient Dumont, packed full of vacuum tubes and had a 4" round screen) and I used it for 4 years.
    I got my second scope in 1978 and I used it for 11 years.
    I got my 3rd scope in 1989 and have used it for 21 years (so far)
    I want my next one to last *at least* 40 years.

Thanks for your input!

steve

I have a nice desktop digital scope with a color LCD, but I use my Velleman handheld scope far more often. In fact, I probably use it 95% of the time that I don't need dual signal display. The convenience of the small size is well worth it. The newer ones have better resolution, but even the older low res models are very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Byte_Butcher View Post
    So how do you like the Owon scope? How long have you had it? Anything you dislike about it?
    I've had some really poor luck in the last few years with low priced imported (china) equipment, so I'm a little leary about some of that stuff these days. I know some of it is good quality and a great value, but there's also a lot of horrible junk out there too and I've owned some of it...

steve
    Steve,
    It seems you will be hard pressed to find ANY electronic equipment last 20 years these days, regardless of the origin.

FWIW, I also have a cheap Owon, and it's fine. I got one with the battery, but because of the Velleman I've never used it unplugged. It is not as good as the Tek's, but far better than the 80's B&K crt it replaced. Plus, it's so cheap that even if you do have to replace it in 10 years, you'll get a better one and still spend less than the current cost of a name-brand.

Quote Originally Posted by Byte_Butcher View Post
    Thanks for the links.
    I have had it for about a year now. It seems pretty well built to me. I only use it occasionally. I think you will love how compact it is compared to the tube scopes, and you can lift it with a pinky easily, compared to a dislocation on the older scopes...

I am far from an advanced user. Much more of a beginner, so you probably want some more input about it and it's capabilities. I previously had one of the Fluke portable scopes (older model 95?). I really like having separate colors for each channel like on the Owon. I can't seem to get their USB software to download the image to work, but it might be my lovely Vista, and not a fault of the scope. I have not really needed it yet, but I thought it would be cool, especially to share on the forum if the need arose.

I could see getting many more years out of it, as long as there are no unexpected smoking components. But I guess you never really know. I looked for a review on the Owon, but had trouble finding any.

The BK you mention seems to have about 4x the sampling rate, and many more features. But it is over twice the price. Probably a slightly better build to.

See Oscilloscope MHz recomend
    2005 post.

Norm

Thanks Norm, I was tempted by the digital/analog 2522C. Just couldn't quite squeeze $1200 out of my wallet. I was tempted also by the (full digital) Agilent 1002A, which was also $1200.

But it's a done deal now. I read the users manuals and whatever reviews I could locate for every scope I could find for < $1200 USD.
    Agilent, Owon, Rigol, Techtronics, and B&K all had offerings that tempted me

In the end I decided to go with the B&K 2534 for $719.
    When it gets here, I'll give a full report.

Thanks to everyone for your input!

steve

Default Update:

Quote Originally Posted by scalerobotics View Post
    I can't seem to get their USB software to download the image to work, but it might be my lovely Vista, and not a fault of the scope.
    I was able to get the software for the OWON scope working with Windows 98.

Here is an image. It had a little more resolution before I jpg'd it:

After reading Byte_Butcher's review of the B&K, I like my scope even more!
    Last edited by ScaleRobotics; - 22nd July 2010 at 05:46.

Steve,
    If you don't make it in the hand crafted goodies market, you might try Consumer Reports, Great review of that scope.

Walter,
    You are doing a great job of making me think about that OWON scope, You got win98se to recognise it ? I just bought an HP1006 cheapo laser printer that is supposed to work, to no avail, won't set up as USB, and that's all it is. Maybe time to donate my old Tecktronics RM31A to The Smithsonion, all 80 pounds of it. . . Thing is I bet the OWON won't keep the shop warm at night like my RM31A does
    Last edited by Archangel; - 28th January 2010 at 19:42.
    If you do not believe in MAGIC, Consider how currency has value simply by printing it, and is then traded for real assets.
    Gold is the money of kings, silver is the money of gentlemen, barter is the money of peasants - but debt is the money of slaves
    There simply is no "Happy Spam" If you do it you will disappear from this forum.