CircuitLab simulation

+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default CircuitLab simulation

I just discovered this online tool.

https://www.circuitlab.com/

I just completed the first lesson as I was watching the video and I'm really impressed. So far it seems to be free.

I can't even remember Ohm's Law, so a tool like this is worth gold to a potato-head like me. Just drag and drop the devices, adjust voltages, and BOOM! You get nice graphs to help you chose components.

----------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: Ok, so I found out where they make their money, it's from memberships (I found out when I tried to save a file):

https://www.circuitlab.com/accounts/upgrade/hobbyist/

----------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: Aaaaaaand BOOM! I just found out how they force you to get a membership. I did just a few simulations and they shut down the feature until I "upgrade".

Still, $79/year is not a bad price to pay for a tool like this.

Unless someone has a better tool for less than $79/year, I'm most likely going to sign up (at least at the basic level to test the waters).

I'm pretty sure I have SPICE in KiCad, but I haven't really looked into it. I'm getting "SPICE errors" on simple circuits.

I guess I should spend some google time to see if I can get anywhere with SPICE. That tool comes up a lot online, I'm assuming it's pro-level stuff.
    Last edited by Demon; - 5th May 2024 at 06:41.
    My Creality Ender 3 S1 Plus is a giant paperweight that can't even be used as a boat anchor, cause I'd be fined for polluting our waterways with electronic devices.

Not as dumb as yesterday, but stupider than tomorrow!

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Default Re: CircuitLab simulation

Have you tried LTspice? It is totally free and great support either on YouTube or from forums around.

I admit, it is a bit strange if the component is not in the lib and you have somehow to add it.

Ioannis

I used Pspice from Orcad back in my school days.
    "No one is completely worthless. They can always serve as a bad example."

Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by Ioannis View Post
    Have you tried LTspice? It is totally free and great support either on YouTube or from forums around.

I admit, it is a bit strange if the component is not in the lib and you have somehow to add it.

Ioannis

Nope, not yet.

I spent a few minutes last night trying to get SPICE working in KiCad and ended up on google. It turns out they have some generic devices, but you're meant to download the SPICE models from the manufacturers. They mention licensing, which makes sense. They don't want to get into that and let the users download whatever model they need direct from the companies. Now I know why my first attempt at getting a LED to turn on had failed miserably.

I'm going to spend some time and give SPICE a fair shake cause I already use KiCad for my circuits, and it's free as well. SPICE is integrated in the schematic editor, so it's not like I need to learn "yet another tool". I just have to get the proper models.
    My Creality Ender 3 S1 Plus is a giant paperweight that can't even be used as a boat anchor, cause I'd be fined for polluting our waterways with electronic devices.

Have not tried the KiCAD yet (as well) but LTSpice, despite its primitive environment, it is easy use, at least for the basics.

Worth to give it a try.

Ioannis

Just a clarification, KiCad uses ngspice.

Turns out KiCad has a few "features" that you quickly pick up on when you read about spice:

- as mentionned previously, you're expected to import models.
    - pin assignments in KiCad are not necessarily the same as the pins in the ngspice engine. You're expected to double-check, and use alternate pin assignments when necessary.

"KiCad uses different pin assignments for semiconductor components than is expected by the ngspice engine. For example, the standard SPICE pin assignments for a BJT transistor are pin 1 = collector, pin 2 = base, and pin 3 = emitter, whereas KiCad uses 1 = E, 2 = B, and 3 = C. This can cause great confusion for users wondering what the heck is going on. To fix this issue, click on the Pin Assignments tab and swap the collector and emitter pin assignments"

https://www.woolseyworkshop.com/2019...tion-in-kicad/

I read somewhere that this might just be leftover "holes" from early versions of KiCad. It's developed by the community, so it's bound to have some gray areas where people weren't sure how things went. So over the years they kept the ability to override stuff. It's not the end of the world.

Shoot, just look at our community and imagine if we were responsible for the development of PBP.

Quote Originally Posted by Ioannis View Post
    Have not tried the KiCAD yet (as well) but LTSpice, despite its primitive environment, it is easy use, at least for the basics.

Worth to give it a try.

Ioannis

I gotta say, I was able to get a simulation running with just a few clicks.

Name:  LTSpice test 1.png
Views: 51
Size:  49.5 KB

Isn't it amazing?

Ioannis