Securing Dupont connectors to headers

+ Reply to Thread

Question Securing Dupont connectors to headers

Have you ever used Loctite to secure a Dupont socket onto a header pin?

My initial plan was to do like many and use hotglue, but this particular situation requires a liquid that's less "thick", but I don't want it to be permanently secured.

So I was thinking of using a drop of blue Loctite threadlocker, but that seems still too strong. I'm pretty sure that stuff will infiltrate the socket and really jam it on there.

https://www.loctiteproducts.com/en/p...erblue242.html

I think that's the equivalent to Permatex's green threadlocker...?

The consensus over here seems to be hotglue.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/AskElectron..._i_can_use_to/

(I'd much prefer learning from your mistakes than from mine )
    Last edited by Demon; - 13th May 2024 at 09:58.
    My Creality Ender 3 S1 Plus is a giant paperweight that can't even be used as a boat anchor, cause I'd be fined for polluting our waterways with electronic devices.

Not as dumb as yesterday, but stupider than tomorrow!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Default Re: Securing Dupont connectors to headers

I have used hot glue before to secure a Dupont socket onto a header pin. But, even when I don't use the hot glue the connector never moves. Unless there is a lot of vibration, I don't think the glue is necessary. I would never use loctite for that. It is too liquid and too strong.
    "No one is completely worthless. They can always serve as a bad example."

Anonymous

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by rsocor01 View Post
    I have used hot glue before to secure a Dupont socket onto a header pin. But, even when I don't use the hot glue the connector never moves. Unless there is a lot of vibration, I don't think the glue is necessary...
    Yeah, I've done some light hand tests using new parts; Dupont cable clip and header pin, that clip is relatively firmly secured.

It's mostly to prevent any problems during shipping.

This is for a flight sim controller (switches, LEDs, encoders and pots). Who knows what sort of treatment the enclosure might endure by an "avid gamer". I'd like to prevent problems, especially if a dab of glue will do, and it's in the hands of a hyper kid with an obnoxious parent that will cause me grief for a refund.

... I would never use loctite for that. It is too liquid and too strong.
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I've been reading some more on threadlocker liquids, and they're actually designed to seep into threads.

I don't think a 1/2 drive ratchet is gonna be a good idea to get the socket off the header.
    My Creality Ender 3 S1 Plus is a giant paperweight that can't even be used as a boat anchor, cause I'd be fined for polluting our waterways with electronic devices.

Quote Originally Posted by Demon View Post
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I've been reading some more on threadlocker liquids, and they're actually designed to seep into threads.

I don't think a 1/2 drive ratchet is gonna be a good idea to get the socket off the header.
    Also, some of those glue types release fumes when they are drying. The fumes can affect other parts of the circuit.
    "No one is completely worthless. They can always serve as a bad example."

Anonymous

Also, some of those glue types release fumes when they are drying...
    I did not know that.

I don't want unnecessary fumes in my workarea. Not just for me, but also for any plastics or synthetic materials.

I had stored a really nice set of speakers under my stairs. My heart sank when I noticed that the thin foam membrane around the speaker had totally degraded. Same with the foam in my Konica 35mm camera; totally turned to powder.

I know that the EVA foam that I'm using in the LCD enclosure is "supposed" to last millenia, but why risk it. A small vented paint booth is on my TO-DO list, especially for instant glue.

https://snibbs.co/blogs/foot-safety/...s%20of%20years.

Members who have read this thread : 7

You do not have permission to view the list of names.